April 26, 2013

How to Install Google Maps on the LG 840G from Tracfone

How to Get Google Maps on your LG 840G

For some, loading Google Maps onto the LG 840G is a simple thing, for others, for some reason it is a challenge and I have noticed a few questions, so I wanted to share some information and resources for getting Google Maps installed on a LG 840G.

I could copy and paste the information I found from elsewhere, but It is better to get it from the source, so you can read all the information about it. So I will link you to the forum with all the information you should need to load the Google Maps app on your LG 840G.

--Update--
A visitor commented below with another, possibly easier method for getting Google Maps:

Go to boostapps.com/jump and enter 6944 to get the Google signed version of Google Maps 2.3.2. It'll load from the .jad. (from Anonymous)

If that works for you, then great, otherwise, here is another method below. Comment with any results or questions and we will try to help!

Let's get right to it.

1. Visit the forum post at Howard Forums detailing how to get the Google Maps app on an LG 840G

2. Then follow the information provided, including reading the posts on the second forum, Turk Forums.

3. As the post at Howard Forums recommends, read the information provided at Turk Forums, especially starting at post #887, which is 3/4 down the page. (posts are numbered at the top right corner of each post).

If you have questions or comments, leave em below or if they are more technical, try Howard Forums, where there is a large dedicated group of Tracfone users.

Want more info on the LG 840G? Read our LG 840G review!

Leave your thoughts and questions below, as well as any tips for downloading Google Maps or other great apps to the LG 840G.

37 comments :

Unknown said...

i tried it but it did not work, it says the jad file has an invalid disciptor

Anonymous said...

From an HSN forum -> "press browser icon. Choose SEARCH, then Google, then MAPS. Press INSTALL NOW to download Google Maps into Tracfone". You might have to tap the Google Maps button a couple times or zoom in then tap to get it to download. It installs a Java SE MIPS version of Google Maps. Version 2.3.2. It works whether the phone is registered or not.

Anonymous said...

Never mind my last reply. I forgot that version is unsigned so it gets all jammed up with unsigned midlet warnings. Go to boostapps.com/jump and enter 6944 to get the Google signed version of Google Maps 2.3.2. It'll load from the .jad.

TracfoneReviewer Team said...

Great info, this might be much easier than following the steps listed in the blog post! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Also I butchered that programming language stuff. I meant Java ME and MIDP. That's what the 840G Java apps use

Ndantonio said...

Thanks, it worked easily - thank goodness. Now I just need a NYC subway map app that works.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

During and after installation, a message kept popping up that there was an unauthorized midlet. Does anyone know what that's about?

Anonymous said...

Thanks! IT DID work quite well!

Anonymous said...

It installed very easily on my LG 840G. It loaded in games and apps icon. Works great! I used the booststapps directions.

Anonymous said...

After a few false starts, I made it as well. And it does in fact load into thw Gammes/Apps icon on the phone. I was wondering...Is there a way to activate verbal turn-by-turn instructions?

Anonymous said...

I installed Google Maps from the Boostapps link and it installed great. However the map was of India How does one change the location. I looked in several places to no avail.

Anonymous said...

Go to Menu, search maps and put your hometown in.

Anonymous said...

Nice, and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch! Did the boostapps method and it installed and ran perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Going to the Boostapps.com/jump worked great. I was getting pretty ticked off trying to get "maps" installed. thanks

Anonymous said...

If you simply open your browser and go to maps.google.com, it will pop open with a link to install the correct version. Just tap the link, and it installs right away with no additional steps needed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for suggesting boostapps./com It works!!! Just remember to enter code 6944 in JUMP area to access Google maps.

Anonymous said...

Just worked for me from the boostapps.com address as well, thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

works like a charm... the boostapp that is

Anonymous said...

Installed Maps and also Facebook while I was there; thanks for the help!

Anonymous said...

Does Google Maps work well, on this phone, though? Does it always accurately assess where you are?

Unknown said...

this app costs minutes to use...why?

Mitch said...

thanks, works great. no minutes if you use wifi

Unknown said...

It worked for me! Thanks! Are there any other apps that can be put on this phone that might be useful...?

Anonymous said...

Download from Boostapps worked great. Only problem I keep getting an Alert---"Untrusted Midlet You are accessing the network====" How do I get rid of the alert. Google Maps does work but alerts keep popping up.

martigirl said...

worked great thanks

Anonymous said...

Boostapps.com/jump (6944) worked for me in a matter of seconds! Great advice, Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Got it at Boostapps entering the code

Anonymous said...

Android systems can (apparently) save portions of google maps for offline use. Is there any way to do this with the 840g?

Unknown said...

worked great So easy on the 840.

Unknown said...

be sure to save as a favorite

Unknown said...

boostapps is the best one it worked for Me when none of the others did and I realy needed this I'm a Volunteer Fire Fighter in Rural Mississippi and the county emergency map is from 2000 because they can't afford to update it right now this will save lives,thank you for the help much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Can I do this directly from phone?

Unknown said...

Downloaded just fine but when I select "My Location" it says my location is unavailable? Does it not have the capability to find your location without you already knowing/typing your location? Can you use this to track your phone?

Unknown said...

HSN tracfone LG840G Hardware version 1.0 Software version V10b: Phone reset during download (or install) of boostapps .jad file. I then downloaded the .jar file on the same page. The phone immediately asked if I wanted to run it. It ran OK but turns out to be unsigned, so I have to approve every request for more map data.

Unknown said...

I just used this link on Opera mini on the phone. boostapps.com/jump and enter 6944. It worked! :D

Unknown said...

Mine did the same. I think it's because google no longer supports this version of maps. I scrolled to my location, and added it as "Home" to the #1 favorite in the app. Meh, it worked...
Not bad for a cheap phone that makes spying and prying difficult.