March 27, 2023

How to Unlock a Tracfone Cell Phone (Just 3 Steps)

Guide to Unlocking a Tracfone Smartphone

tracfone unlock code

Unlock your Tracfone smartphone for free with this guide so that you can use your phone with other carriers in the US or even internationally. TracfoneReviewer shares the requirements and a step by step guide below!

An unlocked phone makes it easy to switch between carriers, or travel to another country and insert a new SIM card to have data and service. All Tracfone smartphones are locked to Tracfone for a certain amount of time, but now it is easier than ever to get your phone unlocked!

Tracfone is well known for not allowing their phones to be unlocked (several years ago), but because of FCC rules, and a ruling against Tracfone, they are required to unlock phones from after a certain date, offer a credit towards an exchange, or offer a partial cash refund for older devices.

Here is the free unlocking guide, with detailed requirements below.

How to Unlock a Tracfone Cell Phone in 3 Steps

Our easy, step-by-step guide to unlocking your Tracfone cell phone. Be aware that not all Tracfone devices can be unlocked, many of the older phones are not eligible, and can only be traded for a small cash refund.

Step 1: Contact Tracfone for Unlock Code
Go to www.tfwunlockpolicy.com and enter your phone number at the bottom of the page. You can also call 1-888-442-5102 during normal business hours, but using the web is typically much easier.

You must have had the phone active with Tracfone service for 60 days or in some cases up to 12 months to be eligible for unlocking. See full requirements below.

Step 2: Get Unlock Code and Write it Down
If your phone is eligible, you will be able to continue the process to receive an unlock code for your phone. If your phone is not eligible to be unlocked, you may need to wait a little longer, or in some cases you may still qualify for a credit towards a new phone, or a cash refund.

We tested several older Tracfone devices and while they were 'eligible' to be unlocked, Tracfone wasn't able to unlock them due to various issues, and offered instead a cash refund of $5-$15. Many of Tracfone's older devices are unable to be unlocked due to software issues.

Step 3: Insert New SIM and Enter Unlock Code When Prompted
Once you get the unlock code from Tracfone, you can purchase a SIM card from another carrier, power off your phone, switch the SIM cards, and turn it back on. You should get a notification that your phone is locked, but there should be a place for you to enter your unlock code. After the code is entered your phone will be able to use the new SIM card. You can always switch SIM cards whenever you like, just remember to turn your phone off and back on.

And that is all it takes to unlock a Tracfone prepaid device. It is a fairly easy process, if your phone is eligible. If you have questions or need help, connect with our community on Facebook.

Going through the process of unlocking a Tracfone device doesn't seem worthwhile in most cases with the huge number of unlocked devices available on the market at very low prices. Amazon, eBay and many other online retailers have plenty of unlocked phones, and if you buy older models, or refurbished phones, you can often get a great deal.

Check out our list of the Best Unlocked Phones for Tracfone to get some ideas about the great options already available.

how to unlock a tracfone smartphone
Three Steps to Unlock a Tracfone Smartphone

Requirements for Unlocking a Tracfone Device

There are several key requirements that you must meet in order to get your phone unlocked. Here are the requirements:

Unlocking Requirements for Android devices:
TracFone will provide an unlocking code to customers who request unlocking, as long as they meet the following conditions:
  • If the TracFone device was activated with TracFone service prior to November 23, 2021, then the device must have been active on TracFone Service for no fewer than 12 months with Service Plans redeemed in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.
  • If the TracFone device was activated with new service on the Verizon network on or after November 23, 2021, then at least 60 days must have elapsed since the device was activated.
  • The device must be in working condition.
  • The device has not been reported stolen or lost, and there are no indicators of fraud.
  • (Source - www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/)
Requirements For Apple iPhone devices:
  • TracFone will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible for unlocking.
  • For all Apple devices activated with TracFone prior to November 23, 2021, the device will be automatically unlocked after 12 months of active TracFone service.
  • For Apple devices activated with new TracFone service on the Verizon network on or after November 23, 2021, the device will be automatically unlocked 60 days after activation in the absence of an indication of fraud.
  • (Source - www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/)
(You can also check if your phone is eligible by entering your phone number or serial number at the bottom of this page)

There are a lot of requirements, but the key points are that you need to have your phone active for 12 months with Tracfone in order to unlock it unless you activated it with new service after Nov 23rd, 2021. For iPhone users, Tracfone says they will automatically unlock it when eligible, but we have not been able to confirm this.

If you have an unlocked phone, you can activate it with Tracfone BYOP. Then, if you travel to another country and need to use cell phone service, simply power off the phone, switch the SIM cards, and you are ready to use your phone in the new country. Switch the SIM cards back when you return to the US.

We hope this information has been helpful. Leave a comment below with any questions or thoughts, and also share your experiences.

We are also on Facebook, with a large community who help answer questions, share news and much more.

New to Tracfone or still trying to figure things out? Visit our Beginners Guide.

Also take a look at our List of the Best Tracfone Smartphones under $100

See our latest post about the Best Tracfone Deals, Discounts and Sales including several recent smartphones with airtime bundles. 

Thanks for visiting!

36 comments :

Uncle Fester said...

Regarding the refund on phones that can't be unlocked, for which "you lose any remaining airtime on the device." I was thinking about replacing my LG Ultimate 2 (3G CDMA) with a 4G phone, transferring my number and minutes to it. Can I request the refund from Tracfone on the Ultimate 2, activate a new phone and transfer my account to it, and then return the Ultimate 2 (deactivated and with no airtime on it) and still get the refund (they quoted me $16)?

nanci kleber said...

This isn't addressed anywhere.
Over the weekend we received our new LG Fiesta 2 Lte ($99.00). Yesterday while putting on the new case, the screen cracked at the bottom, WE called tracfone for a repair or a replacement & they refused to replace the screen or replace the phone. I have had about 15 tracfones in my household in about 15 years amoung family members & I have never had a problem. This has me very upset that the screen couldn't hold up & tracfone couldn't care less. Not sure where to go next. Advice would be appreciated

Anonymous said...

At that price the phone probably has a plastic screen. The warranty only covers defects.
Sorry, but you should have been more careful.

Unknown said...

I have the same phone... no problems. What did you do - roll over it with a car?!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes on ebay you can purchase damaged phones or parts for little money. Watch on ebay to see if a damaged phone with a good screen is offered & maybe you can replace the screen.

Unknown said...

My friend got locked out of a new Apple iPhone SE after only having it for about a month. He said I could have it if I could understand-disable it. I did. But it's not released by T-Mobile tracfone because I got a SIM for tracfone and it STILL wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

my mom purchase a tracfone LG L64VL and never use and activate the phone because shes not familiar with the internet.After a year she decided to gave me the phone.Although it still a virgin .(NEVER USED OR ACTIVATED FROM THE TIME SHE BOUGHT THE PHONE),I FOUND OUT THE THE LGL64VL IS LOCKED AND CANNOT USED TO ANY NETWORK.AND WHEN I READ THE TRACFONE UNLOCKING POLICY .THERES NO NO WAY YO UNLOCK THE PHONE AND USED ANOTHET SIM CARD.TO UNLOCK THE PHONE I GET A HAMMER AND SMASHED THE TRACFONE LG L64VL .IF MY MOM KNOWS THAT IS AND CANNOT UNLOCK ...SHE DIDNT BUY THAT _PHONE...IF TRACFONE CANNOT UNLOCK THE PHONE ..I CAN UNLOCK IT...

Unknown said...

I got a tracphone z828tl that has not been used,how do I unlock it

Anonymous said...

It's good to know what all the rules are. Thank you for this blog.

In my case, I've been learning as I go. I bought a TracFone without knowing about locked phones, but I learned. I activated my phone and remained in good standing with my active TracFone service for a year. I actually like the plan I'm on and want to keep it, but I still want to unlock it. My phone is eligible and yet, I could not get an unlock code from TracFone customer service at 800-867-7183.

It may have been the individual I reached was having a bad day, because when he asked if I am changing to another service and I said no, he actually said, "It's your phone and you can do what you want with it, just don't lie to me, ok?" I couldn't believe it, but I stayed calm and pretended like I didn't hear him. He said he would transfer me to that department. I suspected he just put me on hold and thought I would hang up, but I didn't. I really needed to unlock my phone today. After holding 30 min, "Daniel" came back and said he couldn't reach that department. I asked if there was a number I could call, and he said no. I asked if there is any other method to get an unlock code and he said no. I asked if we were disconnected, would he be able to call me back and he said yes. He came back one more time and said he was still waiting to get through. 1 hour and 20 min into the call, it disconnected. He did not call back.

I understand TracFone doesn't want to unlock the devices, but I had played by the rules and expected them to as well. I was about to call back or start a chat, but I had found this blog while holding and I tried the number in step 1 even though it's Saturday. Viola! "Welcome to TracFone Unlock" recording said the estimated wait time was 19 minutes or I could get a call back without losing my place in line. I just hung on - for 2 hours and 25 minutes until the call disconnected.

I was not able to swap sims between 2 phones, which was my goal today. I'm going to keep trying. I wondered if you had any difficulty with getting the unlock codes during your testing.

Again, Thank you for this blog.

Anonymous said...

Update to Anonymous post from Sunday, 02/10/2019:

I called 888-442-5102 from my place of business at 5:20 pm Central time in the USA. Recording said hold time was 2 to 3 minutes and it was. I talked to the rep, who took my first & last name, email address and contact number. She submitted the request for unlock code, got confirmation, and said I would be receiving the unlock code to my email address. She gave me a case number and by the time I hung up, I had received the email with the code. Start to finish 6 minutes.

Unknown said...

I bought my Alcatel A574bl in one of the Alcatel shop in US,but when I came to my country Zambia,my Alcatel phone ALWAYS say invalid sim card....... please help me am tired with this problem.your positive consideration to my request will be highly appreciated

Anonymous said...

US does not have Alcatel store. I suspect you got a tracfone, which only recognize tracfone simcard. Any other cards you put in will show as invalid. Maybe you can use it as a MP3 device with wifi?

Unknown said...

I just unlocked my Samsung Verizon model Tracfone (SM-S727VL). The Samsung user guide that came with the phone stated the phone was unlockable. I used the online unlock page. No problems.

My motive was to be able to update the firmware. Unfortunately, at this time there may not be newer firmware (android versions and security patches) that Samsung has released for this specific Tracfone version. Maybe something will come out in the future and I will be able to upgrade.

Overall, very satisfied with Tracfone’s service and handling of my unlocking.

(I am NOT a Tracfone employee or paid to write this ).

Unknown said...

What's the online page to unlock the tracfone

Uncle Fester said...

Well here we are, over two years after my initial comment that no one ever responded to. I still have the Ultimate 2. Gmail crashes in several ways. Navigation in Maps is now crashing. I've tried fixing by the usual methods all the way up to hard-resetting the phone, but it looks like Google stopped supporting Android 4.4.2 "Kit-Kat" in 2018 and it's really time to buy a new phone.

At this time, TF is offering $10 for the Ultimate 2. Better than nothing.

Unknown said...

My LGL63BL IMEI 353262080623670 IMEI SV 01 can't work with my local network and display invalid SIM card, what should I do to unlock it?

Unknown said...

Is this phone eligible to be unlocked? It was given to me by my sister. Presently am here in Philippines,this is where am residing. The imei is 35 537208 738351 .

Davi said...

Please I need help to unlock my iPhone 7plus locked by us tracfone

Abdullah said...

Please I need help to unlock my LG tracfone

Unknown said...

Is Samsung Galaxy j7 crown model(SM-S767VL) eligible to be unlocked? It was brought for me by my aunt. Presently am here in Nigeria,this is where am residing. The imei is 356823096273524 .

Unknown said...

I have an Lg fiesta which I unlocked a year ago. I went to the Philippines a couple months ago and inserted a Philippines sim card into my phone but I got no signal. What did I miss?

rjejr said...

Just used the link on this FCC website to get the "unlock codes" for 2 Tracfones my son's have had active for about 15 months. The article said "One phone every 12 months" but I'm assuming that meant 1 phone per phone number.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/tracfone-phone-unlocking-program

The link to page to unlock i sin the middle, something like tracfoneunlock.com, sorry but I accidentally closed the page while typing this.

Good luck to everyone. I haven't tried the codes yet, my kids are both at school, and I'm a little afraid they'll lose all their minutes, text and data, but I'll report back how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have two Tracfones (Samsung Galaxy Orbit J3) that is unlocked.
Tracfone sent me the code. I enter the code. I get message device is unlocked.

I went to Verizon and to Page Plus Cellular and both told me that the phones were not compatible with.

Makes no sense. These two smartphones work on the Verizon system.

Do you know what is going on here?

.

Anonymous said...

Just unlocked a Samsung J7 SkyPro SM-S727VL(GP)
Logged in the website, entered IMEI, phone number and email. Got the 2 unlocking codes right away.
Got both in the phone and now it is unlocked.
Somebody else did it an year ago or so for updating the Android version. It is a great phone for its age, very powerful with good video and photos quality.
Unfortunately a couple of apps require a newer version of Android ( 7.0 or above).
Looks like this model doesn't have any upgrade firmware.
Thanks you for your blogs information.

Deez New Geeenius said...

puk code unlock?

Unknown said...

I am trying to get the unlock code for my device LML211BL

Unknown said...

How can I unlock LG L455DL tracfone? Please really need help.

Unknown said...

If I unlock my tracfone and then use it internationally, will I be able to receive calls. Also can I GO BACK to my original number and keep my minutes, etc

RayW said...

I just came across this article. It states that it is believed that only GSM phones can be unlocked. This of course is as of the writing of this article. On September 5th, 2021 I tried to get authorization for my Samsung Galaxy A10e CDMA phone and it will allow it to be unlocked. I can't speak for all CDMA phones but it looks like it isn't just GSM phones that are eligible.

Anonymous said...

They have added a new 60 day unlocking policy for phones activated on the Verizon network:

"If the TracFone device was activated with new service on the Verizon network on or after November 23, 2021, then at least 60 days must have elapsed since the device was activated."

Anonymous said...

I have 2 tracfones that I have tried to unlock recently with nothing but headaches. The first tracfone is a moto g6 that I purchased about 2 or so years ago. Tracfone said they can't unlock it because they have no record of it in their computer. It is a branded tracfone. Is it my fault that they can't keep their records. I have been up and down the road with their reps and finally just gave up. The other is an branded tracfone lg 414 that I purchased with a year service over a year ago and I have no idea what they are talking about. They say it was activated over 380 days ago but only has been active for 60 days. I ported my number from an older tracfone to this current phone about a month ago. I know there may be a language barrier but this is insane.

Anonymous said...

I got a new android tracfone in February and after 60 days tracfone sent me a text saying the phone was eligible to be unlocked, with a link to the site to unlock it. I'm not going to unlock it now but they seem to be making it very easy to unlock their phones these days.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing I haven't clicked on it.. sketchy

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to unlock my trace phone what's the code please

Jim said...

I had the message "...SIM card locked.." on my Tracfone after putting in a new SIM. I went to https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/ and it generated unlock codes and it worked.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to unlock the tracfone network